HCOS Student Awards
HCOS students have the opportunity to be recognized each year, based upon three distinct awards. These awards derive from our Learner Profile and connect to our Head, Heart and Hands model. This page provides information about and outlines the requirements for each award.
Honour Roll & Principal's List (Grades 10-12)
To receive Honour Roll recognition at HCOS, a student must attain an average percentage of at least 80% in all subjects. A percentage of less than 60% or a grade of C-, I or F in any subject means the student is not eligible for the Honour Roll.
Students in Grades 10 and 11 must have completed a minimum of seven courses with HCOS toward their Dogwood Diploma, one of which must be a Christian Studies course, by the June reporting period in order to be eligible.
Students in Grade 12 must have completed a minimum of six courses with HCOS toward their Dogwood Diploma, one of which must be a Christian Studies course, by the June reporting period in order to be eligible.
Courses must be completed within the school year, which includes the previous summer. For example, if a student is in Grade 12 during the 2021/2022 school year, courses completed from July 2021 until June 2022 count.
Based on the same Honour Roll Criteria above, the top 10% of each Grade will receive the distinction of Principal's List.
Calculating Honour Roll Standing
Final course marks will be used to calculate Honour Roll standing. To calculate standing, total the percentages and divide by the number of subjects. For example:
- Calculate total percentage points by adding up the percentage earned in each course.
- Divide the total by the number of eligible subjects studied. This is the average.
- If the average is between 80%-100% and if all the criteria have been met, the student has achieved Honour Roll status. Principal's List status will be awarded to students identified as earning percentages in the top 10% of each grade.
Character Award (K-12)
The Character Award recognizes and promotes character development in our students. Each year teachers will have the opportunity to nominate students who demonstrate on a consistent basis, the qualities within our Learner Profile or Biblical Attributes Profile.
Teachers can find more information here.
Service Award (K-12)
- Students must show evidence of a commitment to serving their community outside of school-related activities. Volunteering or acts of service must be practical and require an investment of time without pay.
- Complete the Service Award Form
- If volunteering with an organization, provide a letter or email of confirmation from the organization certifying the involvement and time volunteered.
- If not volunteering with an organization, provide a letter or email from a parent confirming involvement and time volunteered.
- Keep and submit a Service log
- Minimum Required Hours:
- 10 hours for students in Kindergarten to Grade 6.
- 20 hours for students in Grades 7 to 12.
- Submissions must be received by May 15th of each year.
Some suggested areas of service are (but not limited to):
- Conservation/environment projects
- Volunteer work for a non-profit organization
- Serving at church
- Helping your neighbours