Career Life Education & Career Life Connections Courses
This page is designed to outline the differences in the Career Life Education (CLE) and Career Life Connections (CLC) offerings at HCOS.
Career Life Education should be taken before Career Life Connections.
The Ministry of Education has outline the rationale and goals for the new K-12 Career Education offerings:
Today’s graduates must be able to adapt to ongoing change in many aspects of their lives. For most people, career life planning will not be a matter of making one major decision and living with it for a lifetime. Instead, purposeful career-life development, where students learn how to set personally meaningful goals, recognize and cultivate relevant opportunities and supportive relationships, and continually re-evaluate and revise their plans, is a requirement for educated citizens in an ever-changing world.
Educated citizens are lifelong learners who continually build on their self-awareness about evolving interests and strengths, and who are able to use this personal knowledge to inform their career-life choices with flexibility as opportunities and challenges arise. Career Education fosters development of the confidence, knowledge, and competencies necessary to succeed in personal, educational, and workplace contexts throughout life.
From Kindergarten to graduation, the Career Education curriculum offers students many opportunities to explore and develop personal interests, strengths, and competencies while making connections with experiential learning, career life possibilities, and preferred post-graduation opportunities. Under the guidance of their teachers, students discover that career life development with intent is not simply figuring out what they want to be when they grow up, but a lifelong journey of being and becoming who they want to be in the world and how they can make meaningful contributions in their communities.
Career Education includes reflection on learning experiences both in school and out of school, and facilitates connections with communities and networks to support personal career-life interests and goals. The Career Education curriculum aligns with the First Peoples Principles of Learning, highlighting a holistic view of students placed at the centre of their learning, and recognizing the importance of experiential learning, guidance from mentors, and community involvement.
The Career Education curriculum contributes to students’ development as educated citizens through the achievement of the following goals. Students are expected to:
- recognize the need to be adaptable, resilient, and flexible in order to meet the ever-changing opportunities and challenges of today’s world
- understand how ongoing purposeful career life development contributes to the success and well-being of individuals, communities, and society
- build personal career life development capacity to effectively learn and grow new interests, knowledge, skills, and competencies throughout their lives
- develop awareness of their personal strengths, competencies, values, and passions, and use this self-knowledge to inform career life choices
- communicate and interact collaboratively with others, valuing diversity of people, perspectives, worldviews, ideas, and opportunities
- explore a range of experiences, roles, and opportunities in personal, educational, and workplace contexts to advance their personal career-life journeys
HCOS Grad Program Offerings
In Encom you will see Career Life Education and Career Life Connections offered at all three grade levels (10, 11 and 12). This is because we want to work flexibly with our students to have them complete the courses when it is best for them in their educational journey.
- Students must complete Career Life Education and Career Life Connections before graduating. You only have to complete the course once!
- Career Life Education should be completed prior to taking Career Life Connections.
HCOS offers both Career Life courses as online courses and individualized courses. Please connect with your Grad Advisor to plan the best time for you to take these as well as which course option is best for you!