Tuition & Bursary Family FAQs
Please see the following FAQs regarding tuition and bursaries:
For an overview of the HCOS tuition and resource structures, please see HCOS Tuition & Resources
Who is the Tuition & Bursary Declaration Form for?
For all HCOS students for the 20/21 school year that were already enrolled prior to June 15, 2020. For any new enrollments after June 15, this process will be completed during your intake call.
Is there a deadline to complete the Tuition & Bursary Declaration Form?
If you are already enrolled with HCOS, please complete the form by June 26. For new enrollments, these questions will be asked upon application to the school.
What are the payment options for tuition?
- One Time Payment (Credit Card)
- K-9 Program - If this option is selected, a PayPal invoice will be emailed to you at the beginning of July, payable any time up to September 30.
- Grad Program - If this option is selected, a PayPal invoice will be sent on September 21, payable by September 30.
- One Time Payment (Cheque)
If this option is selected, a cheque for the full tuition amount owing for your family should be sent to the following address dated no later than September 30, 2020:HCOS Accounts Payable
905 Badke Rd
Kelowna, BC V1X 5Z5
- Pre-Authorized Debit (10 months - September to June)
- If this option is selected, a Pre-Authorized Debit form will be sent to you in August to be completed and returned by September 18. All monthly debits will occur on the final day of each month, beginning in September. If the final day of the month is on a weekend or statutory holiday, it will be processed on the next business day.
- Post-Dated Cheques (10 months - September to June)
If this option is selected, 10 post-dated cheques for the full tuition amount owing for your family spread evenly over 10 months should be sent to the following address dated for the 30th of each month, September to June:HCOS Accounts Payable
905 Badke Rd
Kelowna, BC V1X 5Z5
Am I able to change my tuition choice after I've selected it?
Yes, prior to payment, if applicable. Please email Aubri Reid at email@example.com to arrange for any changes to your tuition option.
Is tuition refundable if a student withdraws?
No. Tuition is non-refundable. However, for students on a 10-month payment option, after a 30 day notice period passes, no further payments will be required upon withdrawal from HCOS.
For Grad Program courses, tuition is non-refundable but courses may be exchanged for a different course during the same school year.
Can students in the same family choose different tuition options? Does it matter which order I list my students? Does SE status factor into this?
Yes, families can choose different tuition options for each student. K-9 students should be listed in descending order by age (ie. oldest student first). This process should be followed regardless of SE status.
What happens with tuition and resources for a student who enrolls after September 30?
For K-9, enrollments from October 1 to the February funding snapshot will automatically be charged $0 tuition with a $200 resource budget. K-9 enrollments between the February and May funding snapshots will be charged $0 tuition with a $0 resource budget.
Grade 10-12 students are charged the regular tuition rates regardless of the time of year the course is enrolled as they are fully funded at all times. Once active, students have one year to complete the course.
Which students should choose the Special Education tuition option?
Only funded Special Education students (A-H designated) should choose this option, not Learning Services non-funded Special Education students (KPQR designated).
Once families choose a tuition option, are there restrictions around PO spending?
Once selected, K-9 families may now spend the full resource amount to the applicable limit (ie. $350 or $600). The only remaining restriction is that Lessons are still not payable until October 1.
Can I pay for a student's tuition from another family?
Yes. Please email Aubri Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange payment for another student.
For Grad Program students, what do I need to know about tuition?
- Selecting courses by September 18 will ensure eligibility for the pre-authorized debit option for paying tuition. Any courses selected after this date will require the full amount paid upon enrolment (if a charge is applicable).
- A course is considered to be a full 4-credit offering. 2-credit courses will count as half of a course towards a student's course load. If two credit offerings are selected, the tuition rate for those will be $25 per course.
- Course challenges are charged $50 per course.
Why isn’t there a $0 tuition assistance option in the Grad Program like there is in K-9?
As in most schools, the grad program is more expensive to run so there was no room to offer a $0 tuition option. However, if you are unable to pay tuition, bursary applications are available.
When will families know if they will receive a bursary?
Bursary applications will be assessed after the first application deadline of June 26. Bursaries will be awarded and families notified between June 30 and July 3rd. If there are bursary funds remaining, an additional application deadline of August 15 will consider any bursary applications since June 26. Bursaries will be awarded and families will be notified by August 21. There will be a final application deadline of September 30th for families who have applied since August 15. Families will be notified if a bursary will be award by October 7.
For Grad Program students only, there will be additional case-by-case bursary eligibility for courses added after September 30.
Can teachers be a bursary application reference for a family?
If my bursary application is not successful, can the tuition option selection be changed?
For Grad Program students, what do I need to know about bursaries?
- Selecting courses by August 15 will ensure eligibility for the second bursary application deadline. Bursary amounts will be based on how many courses are enrolled at that point.
- Selecting courses by September 30 will ensure eligibility for the final general bursary application deadline. Bursary amounts will be based on how many courses are enrolled at that point.
- For Grad Program students only, there will be additional case-by-case bursary eligibility for courses added after September 30.
If you have additional questions, please contact your Regional Administrator or Grad Advisor. We will continually update this FAQ page with new questions and answers.