HCOS Discrimination Protection Policy
The safety and wellbeing of children in our school is of paramount consideration. Children deserve to be protected from abuse, neglect, bullying, harm or threat of harm. Therefore, HCOS Staff & Teachers will ensure that children attending our school experience a Christian learning environment that enables every child to know they are special because they are created in the image of God, and should feel safe, accepted and respected.
HCOS is involved in ongoing work and training to ensure that students feel respected and connected with our community. This includes protection of our students' physical safety, social connectedness, inclusiveness as well as protection from all forms of bullying, regardless of their gender, race, culture, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity and expression, while remaining consistent with HCOS' faith-values, cultural perspectives and philosophical values.
There are many strategies and activities that can be employed within our school to enable students to feel safe, accepted and respected. The following suggestions are provided to facilitate a conversation on strengthening the learning environment for children.
- Engage students in the decision-making process of policies and activities that build community
- Engage parents in the educational program and school life of their children
- Encourage parents to share their culture and expectations
- Promote open communication among administrators, teachers, staff, students, families and communities
- Be proactive in connecting with students that are experiencing academic or social issues
- Communicate expectations, values and norms that support positive health and academic behaviour in the school community
- Acknowledge students by name
- Be visible within the school during class transitions, breaks, before/after school
- Find ways to acknowledge students for their contributions in the school community, including those where improvement comes only in small increments.