Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that can be fatal, resulting in circulatory collapse or shock. The allergy may be related to food, insect stings, medicine, latex, nuts, etc. The purpose of the policy is to provide an outline for prevention and care for a student with a known anaphylactic response.
If a medical alert, life-threatening or severe medical condition, is noted upon student application, the parent is asked to complete an LG Medical Planning Form. This form is also located at the bottom of the SOPHIE Documents/forms/links page under the title "Student Success and Safety."
For Parent Accompanied Events: The school expects the parent to assume responsibility for carrying the epi-pen and administering it if needed.
For drop-off events:
- We require a Permission to Administer Medicine form (updated annually)
- Parent provides Epi-pen onsite
- Stored appropriately with Teacher/ supervisor access and kept nearby
- All those in care of the student throughout the day are provided with a copy of the Medical Planning Form and are aware of the epi-pen’s location
- Annual CC Coordinator training with local school nurse provided
- review signs and symptoms
- common allergens
- avoidance strategies
- How to use/administer epinephrine auto-injector
- Discussions to raise team and participant awareness
- Annual refresher required
- if trained personnel are not present at an event and an anaphylaxis medical alert is noted on the application form, parent accompaniment is required
- Your local school nurse is also a valuable resource and may provide practical training as needed
- An allergic response is immediately treated with epi-pen, not Benadryl
- 911 is called
- Parents are to be notified
- An HCOS representative will accompany the student to hospital while awaiting parent arrival
- An HCOS representative will call the LG RA and/ or Department Head and complete the Accident Report Form.
- The Department Head will follow up with the family and coordinator to consider future care considerations.
- Student information will be shared with the Support Teacher and noted within Encom for future reference.