Skip to main content

Course Withdrawal Policy

At HCOS we strive to offer flexible course solutions for our students. We recognize that students and parents/families change their mind regarding courses after enrolling, even when a significant portion of the course work has been completed.

Student Requested Withdrawal

Students can make a request to be withdrawn from a course using the Course Withdrawal and Change Form. This request will be forwarded to the course teacher for consultation and confirmation.

In the case where students have completed more than 80 percent of the course as determined by the teacher, students will not be permitted to withdraw. 

Students will be given the opportunity in those cases to either:

  • Complete the remainder of the course, including any requested proctored or final exams, or
  • Take a ‘zero’ for any remaining outstanding assignments or proctored exams, and a final grade will be submitted. 

The BC Ministry of Education’s reporting order states:

W = (Withdrawal) According to the policy of the board, and upon request of the parent of the student or, when appropriate, the student, the principal, vice principal or director of instruction in charge of a school may grant permission to a student to withdraw from a course or subject. 

Please note that if you withdraw from a course you will be unable to retake the course until two funding periods have passed. You can check with your Grad Advisor on when that might be.  

HCOS Administration will grant permission in extenuating circumstances (i.e. extreme illness, sudden change in life situation, etc.) for a student to withdraw if they have completed more than 80%. 

Teacher or Grad Advisor Requested Withdrawal

Teachers or Grad Advisors can make a request for a student to be withdrawn from a course using the Course Withdrawal and Change Form

Teachers may request a withdrawal from a course when:

  • Students communicate directly the request to be withdrawn.
  • Students have been enrolled in the course for a year or more and no plan to complete is in sight. Communication must be sent to the student as well. 
  • Students are not responding to communication about course work for more than 8 weeks and an IGR has been sent. 

Please note, that the withdrawal policy (not being able to start a course again for a minimum of 2 funding periods) applies in these situations as well. As such, if a student reaches out afterwards and wishes to complete the remainder of the course, administration will reach out to the teacher to confirm re-opening the student’s course.