Parent and Student Role Policy
The parent or guardian's role is to support the teacher in partnering with the education plan for the learner.
The role of parents should be to:
- Have primary responsibility for the child’s well-being, growth, and development.
- Recognize that teachers have professional training and expertise.
- Collaborate with the teacher by providing insight into the child’s passions, interests, learning styles and work habits, and the family’s goals for the education process so that student learning can be individualized.
- Communicate regularly with the teacher and engage in an ongoing discussion about the progress and needs of the learner.
- Support Flex Academy field trips, events and spontaneous learning opportunities.
Students who are ready to take responsibility for learning should increasingly:
- Collaborate with the teacher and their parents to help develop learning goals by providing the teacher insight into their passions, interests, learning styles and work habits, and goals for the education process.
- Inform the teacher of resources and services successfully used in the past and/or preferred for the present.
- Reflect on their learning and communicate daily with their teacher(s) to discuss progress and needs.
- Complete and submit assigned work consistently for assessment.
- Accept and integrate feedback from teachers, learning coaches or educational assistants.
- Actively participe in field trips, events and spontaneous learning opportunities.