Tobacco and Vapes Use Policy
Heritage Christian Online School (HCOS) endeavors to see one’s physical, psychological, and spiritual well-being be as healthy as possible. Therefore, students, staff (both paid and volunteer) are not permitted the use of any form of tobacco and tobacco-like products (e-cigs, vapes, etc.) at any HCOS-sponsored event.
HCOS recognizes that the use of tobacco and vapour products are a detrimental lifestyle choice for students, employees, and visitors. The school acknowledges its legal obligations to act in accordance with Section 2.2 of the Tobacco and Vapour Products Control Act. Lastly, HCOS will accept the responsibility inherent in education of providing positive role models and best practices and will promote a healthy learning and working environment.
Tobacco Use Prohibition
- No person is permitted to smoke, use, or hold any tobacco or vapour product at any school related function, in or on any building or land, owned, leased or rented by the school.
- No school student is permitted to smoke, use, or hold any tobacco or vapour product at any school sponsored or school related events.
- All persons who are not school students will be requested not to smoke, or use any tobacco or vapour products in the presence of school students at school sponsored or school related events.
- Students engaging in the prohibited behavior will be subject to the stipulations of the student discipline policy.
- School employees engaging in the prohibited behavior will be subject to the stipulations of the employment agreement regarding employee code of conduct violations.
- All other persons will be asked to cease their use of a tobacco product or to leave the school event.
- HCOS will include education about the harmful effects of tobacco and vapour use at appropriate grade levels in its educational program.
- HCOS will communicate that it is a tobacco and vapour free institution through its usual communication modes to students, parents, employees, and visitors.