Learner Safety Policy & Student Supervision
We recognize that our students occasionally will participate in learning activities outside of the home or campus setting. In order to protect our students at these various locations, including third-party locations we have the following safeguards in place.
Criminal Record Checks
Anyone who has contact with children regardless of age is required to have a Criminal Record Check (CRC) on file with Heritage Christian Online School (HCOS). This includes anyone in a volunteer or supervisory role, and excludes relatives and family members working with their own children.
HCOS has liability insurance to cover the safety of learners. This includes providing a Certificate of Liability Insurance to venues as requested.
Third Party Providers
Anyone acting as a third-party educational provider (private lessons) is required to have a CRC on record with the school. If it is an organization such as a dance studio, then a copy of their organization’s requirement of CRC s is required.
We have an Internet Safety and Literacy document that we share with parents and students. We run webinars and sessions throughout the province on online safety.
- On-site Safety (Environmental)
- Supervisors are required to evaluate environmental hazards that may exist at various sites and facilities when arranging for and planning off- site activities. Awareness of access to first aid equipment is of primary concern.
- Learner homes. If staff members visit a student’s home and have serious concerns regarding the welfare and safety of the child then they are to first contact their administration or Student at Risk Team (SRT) with that concern. When possible, a follow up visit by the administrator will occur. If deemed a safety risk to the student, then the family will be reported under the Abuse Reporting Policy.
- Off-site Safety
- All off-site activities require appropriate supervision in order that students can be observed and attended to as needed. Supervisors must follow the CRC requirements.
- Recommended supervisor to student ratios.
- Kindergarten to Grade 2 – 1:4
- Grade 3-5 – 1:6
- Grade 6-9 – 1:10
Further information, including additional Policies & Procedures for off-site activities, are detailed in the following documents: