K-9 Programs - Overview
Thank you for your interest in our Kindergarten to Grade 9 Program at Heritage Christian Online School. Outlined below are the options available to you in our school. Our mission is to develop innovative Christ-centered educational opportunities for learners to explore and embrace God's unique purpose. This statement guides what we aim to do as a school in living out our Values and Vision as we work to provide educational support in your home learning adventure.
There are two Home Education programs offered through HCOS. These are Registered and Enrolled and you would have applied for one of these when you filled out an application. Below is a brief outline of these two programs and related details, please read up on the program you applied for.
Documentation to be sent to HCOS office
- Copy of birth certificate
- Care Card Number
- Curriculum Agreement (Enrolled only)
- Residency Form
Our Registered Program has been designed for families that desire to provide education for their children at home separate to the guidelines of the British Columbia Ministry of Education curriculum. Registered students receive minimal support from HCOS and you can read more on this at Support for Registered Families . Also, please see our website for more information on what it means to be Homeschool Registered.
Our main program offered to families for support in their home learning is our Enrolled Program. This program is our fully supported program that partners you with a British Columbia Certified Teacher to build an educational program unique to each student. This is done through the resource budget available to Enrolled families, the building of a Student Learning Plan at the start of the year, and regular assessment and reporting on student progress throughout the year. This information will be reviewed with you in a General Intake Session and a phone call with your Regional Administrator.
If you would like to read up on more information related to our programs at HCOS, you can go to our Information for Families book in our online resource SOPHIE. The majority of the information in SOPHIE pertains to our Enrolled Program.
HCOS Support in our Enrolled Program
Your Support Teacher's Role
- Your child’s Home Room teacher at HCOS is your main contact point with the school and is responsible for your child’s educational program. They also support families through prayer, encouragement, and educational program guidance
- Communicates with you regularly (emails, phone calls, feedback on work samples submitted, home visits when possible and desired)
- Collaborates with you on a Student Learning Plan (SLP) starting in September and it may be adjusted throughout the year
- Provides assessment through regular feedback on work sample submitted weekly, Interim Grade Reports as needed, and Report Cards at the end of our two terms (end of January and end of June)
- PO numbers will be given which may be used through a variety of vendors
- Once curriculum for core subjects (Science, Socials, Language Arts, Math & Languages when applicable) is established, curriculum budget may be used for lessons and other resources
- PO numbers can be found in Encom
- Learning resources and kits
- Online Library of resources
- Online subscriptions
- In-person and virtual learning opportunities
- Long term - Community Connections, Community Connections Plus
- Short term - Learning Camps
Curriculum Consultant and Packages
- Our consultant can meet with you to work through specific resource questions as your Support Teacher will work on overall program planning
- Curriculum Picks curated by our Curriculum Consultant provide ideas for common resources for each grade level
Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA) Testing
- Students enrolling in grades 4 and 7 are required to write the FSA tests in October and these are written at each family's home
- Online courses are available for grades 5 to 9
Weekly Contact With Support Teacher
- Phone calls, SeeSaw/Freshgrade, Zoom calls, texts, or other agreed upon methods
- Face-to-face visits when possible or desired
- Weekly sharing of work samples and activities as guided by your support teacher