EA Support COVID-19 Safety Protocols
Due to COVID-19 being with us for the foreseeable future, we will be working in a unique environment for the 2020-21 school year. Public health officials are encouraging each of us to do our part to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 where we work, live and play by following these health and safety guidelines:
- If you’re sick, stay home.
- Practise physical distancing (minimum 6 feet).
- If physical distancing can’t be maintained, wear a mask.
- Wash your hand frequently - minimum of 20 seconds with hot water and soap.
- Avoid touching your face/eyes.
During COVID-19, online learning is the preferred method and should be considered. If online learning is not feasible, HCOS is preparing to provide in-person EA support to students/families in September with the following safety protocols in place. You will be notified of any modifications to the protocols below, should directives via Public Health and the Ministry of Education change.
Safety Measures for In-Person EA Support:
- EA daily self-health check - fever, dry cough, tightness in chest, extreme fatigue, etc.
- Check-in with the family the morning of a scheduled session to ensure that there is no illness in the home - fever, dry cough, tightness in chest/shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, etc.
- EAs are required to wear PPE in the form of a mask if physical distancing can’t be maintained. EAs are responsible for providing their own masks.
- Handwashing upon arrival and prior to leaving the student’s home.
- Sanitization of workspace prior to and after a session.
- Consider hybrid learning - a mix of online and in-person learning.
- Engage in outdoor activities whenever possible.
- Use open space inside the home rather than small more enclosed space.
- Avoid sharing writing utensils or other learning materials.
EAs Working at Community Connections:
- The Learning Groups team is working to be creative, flexible and innovative to make learning happen as closely to what has been traditionally offered. Learning Groups come in a variety of shapes and sizes and the LG staff is working together with venues, facilities and coordinators to help ensure health and safety measures are met. The goal is to make any precautionary measures as routine and natural as possible.
- Please send any questions and concerns regarding a Learning Group activity to email@example.com and one of the LG team members will be happy to assist you. Please note which LG opportunity you are inquiring about.
Teachers will encourage their SE families to have disinfecting wipes/sprays available for use for high touch areas and workspaces. EAs are also encouraged to carry their own supply.
If you have concerns about possible exposure to COVID-19, call 811and monitor for symptoms. Please contact your SE teacher immediately.
Thank you in advance for your part in helping to ensure that HCOS provides a healthy learning environment for students and Education Assistants.