Grad Program

Additional Resources & Learning Supports


We have plenty of online subscriptions you can access to in order to find your subscription login information, go to your parent homepage in Encom and click on “Curriculum Resources”:


Then scroll down to find the links and passwords to the subscription(s) you are interested in.

Learning Camps/Community Connections

You may sign up for our learning camp e-alerts here. By visiting the former website you may also find more info on our Learning Camps and Community Connections programs for the Grad Program.

Learning Commons

Be sure to visit our Learning Commons (library) and check out all the fabulous resources there. An excellent source of help is Pippa Davies who is our Learning Commons Librarian. She can help you with both physical and virtual resources to cover most, if not all, of your curricular needs.

Advanced Placement Courses

What are they?

The Advanced Placement (AP) program makes college and university level courses available for students to take while they’re still in secondary school. For students who are interested in extending their learning beyond the grade 12 level, while still in high school, these courses can be a great option. Students can earn additional credits at the high school level by completing these courses and may also be granted first year college or university credits, depending on the post-secondary institution, when the AP exam is taken. 

AP courses are overseen by the College Board which is recognized for advanced credit or placement in many Canadian and American universities and colleges. Schools are permitted to offer AP courses from a set list, and are responsible for ensuring that any courses they offer meet College Board standards. Students complete the course work and are then required to write a formal ‘AP’ exam administered by the College board to earn the additional AP credits. 

HCOS offers a select number of AP courses, based on the in-house expertise of our instructors and course developers. The list of AP courses offered each year can be found on the HCOS course description webpage and AP exams are written in May of each school year. 

How do they work? 

In general, if a student enrolls in an AP course and completes all the required components, they will earn 4 external credits for the high school level course. Generally, the additional AP material extends or expands on the concepts and content addressed in the grade 12 level course. In addition, if a student successfully completes the AP exam, university credit may also be granted (see section below)

What about the AP Exam?

AP Exams are administered at authorized schools and test centers each school year in the month of May. AP course work is arranged so students have ample time to complete the necessary AP work prior to writing the exam in May. This may mean students have some coursework remaining to complete after the AP exam is written, depending on how the course is laid out. 

HCOS staff will help students arrange for a proctored exam location with an email going out to students in the beginning of the year to gather interest and information to help set sessions up.

The exams are marked and scored on a scale of 1 to 5 by college and university professors and experienced AP teachers (not the HCOS AP course teacher). Many post secondary institutions offer credit for AP Exam scores of 3 or higher.


Advanced Placement FAQs

1. Do I have to take 2 final exams (the school’s final exam and the Collegeboard’s AP exam in May)? 

Most AP courses require an online proctored final exam for you to receive your high school course credit. This exam must be written to receive this credit. 

If you want to attempt to receive university credit through the College Board that exam takes place in May. Please note that the AP and school exams are separate from each other. Some course teachers will accept the AP Exam in lieu of the final exam for the course. This is a teacher by teacher decision and once enrolled, you should discuss your options with your course teacher. 

2. Do I have to create an AP student account? 

If you plan to write the AP exam in May, you will need to create an AP student account. This will allow for our school to order and book your AP exam. By creating this account, it will also give you access to additional material that your teacher may require as a part of your course. 

3. What if I don’t live close to an AP exam location? 

We have two exam locations, one in Kelowna and the other in the Greater Vancouver area. If a student lives outside of one of these locations we will arrange for you to write at a facility near you. Please note that there will be additional fees associated with writing an exam outside of our school locations. 

4. Can I take the AP Exam at my own school (school of record)? 

Yes, you may write your AP Exam at your school of record if they offer AP exams.  You will need to connect with the AP Coordinator at your school as they will need to provide you with an exam only join code. You will also need to inform our offices so that we can adjust your registration with our school.

5. How much does it cost to take the AP Exam?

The cost to write each AP exam is $200. If you live outside of our exam writing locations there will be additional fees to accommodate a special setting.

6. How do I register for the AP Exam?

After creating an account on the College Board website you will want to login at

Click the Join a Course or Exam button. Before you do this, make sure you have the six-Character join code from your teacher. You’ll need it to join a class section.   

Enter the join code your teacher gave you and click Submit.

Make sure the information that comes up is for the course you’re taking. If it is, click Yes

If you need to make any adjustments to your exam registration, such as in you no longer want to write the exam or yes you would like to write, please email Johanna Martz at: 

7. What is the AP Exam registration deadline?

There are two AP Exam registration deadlines in a year. The first one is in the middle of November for students who enrolled in the course before this time. The second deadline is in the middle of March. Information will be sent by course teachers and our office informing of upcoming deadlines.

Booking for Gr. 10-12 Textbooks

Please note: This is for Individualized Patrons with Encom Passwords

Logging into the Search Portal:

Click on this link: 
You will see the Search Portal menu below; click on the Login in the right hand upper corner. 


You will log in with your Encom username and password. If you have forgotten your password, just choose the ‘forgot password?’ link and the site will send it to your email. To find out your username or password, email


You may arrive at this page if coming from the Learning Commons website. If so, click on the SAML link and follow instructions above.


Physical Resource Limits For Textbooks

Physical Resource Limits For Other Resources


We have curated the list of textbooks into Topic Lists which will make it easier to find and book them. Click on the icon that says “Topic Lists”.


The next screen will show a list of topics by grade and by subject. Click on the High School icon: