- Enrolled vs. Registered
- Initial Interview with Families:
- Instructions for Enrolled DL Patrons
- How to Re-Enroll at HCOS
- Purchase Order Numbers or PO#s
Enrolled vs. Registered
This page provides more information on the differences between enrolling and registering a student(s).
- Provided with a Support Teacher
- Accountable to be in regular weekly contact with the Support Teacher
- Accountable to Provincial Learning Standards
- Curriculum budget per child for Grades K – 9
- Curriculum budget per course for Grades 10 – 12
- Option to take courses by an individualized approach, by an online approach, or an integrated approach, which is a blend of the first two
- Ongoing portfolios showing work accomplished in individualized courses are sent to students’ Support Teacher
- Receive Report Cards twice a year
- Receive a Provincial Graduation Certificate (Dogwood or Completion)
- No Support Teacher provided
- Not accountable to follow Provincial Learning Standards
- $150 reimbursed for curriculum
- May take online courses from Grades 10 to 12 through HCOS
- Are not required to send in Portfolios
- Do not receive a Provincial Graduation Certificate
- Can receive the Equivalency Graduation Certificate
For an overview of what resources are available for Registered vs. Enrolled students, please visit LC registered vs. enrolled.
For more information on the difference between enrolling and registering your student(s) please see this document.
Initial Interview with Families:
HCOS will discuss the variety of support services, the responsibilities for families and also miscellaneous information during the initial interview.
Trained Support Teacher will:
- Be your child’s teacher and is responsible for your child’s educational program. S/he will also support families through prayer, encouragement, and professional Christ-centered guidance
- Provide curriculum instructions and guidance
- Have regular contact (emails, phone calls, home visits when possible and desired)
- Collaborate on an Student Learning Plan (SLP) to be completed by the end of September
- Provide assessment through weekly contact and portfolio submissions
- PO numbers will be given which may be used through a variety of vendors. Please see here for a list of participating vendors
- Once curriculum for core subjects (Science, Socials, Language Arts, Math & 2nd Language when applicable) is established, curriculum budget may be used for lessons
- PO numbers can be found in Encom
- A maximum of $600 of the curriculum funds may be used for third party lessons such as: swimming lessons, music lessons, dance lessons, etc. or for resources that the family is keeping
- Learning resources and kits
- Online Library
- Free or substantially-reduced cost
- A few examples:
- World Book
- Discovery Channel Streaming Videos
- Adaptive Curriculum
- RightNow media
Access to Curriculum Consultant and Curriculum Packages, Learning Camps, Co-ops, Learning Connections
Documentation to be sent to HCOS office
- Copy of birth certificate
- Care Card Number
- Curriculum Agreement
- (Additional documents as required. ie: Out-of-province, SE)
Weekly contact with support teacher
- Emails, phone calls, Skype calls, texts, or other agreed upon methods
- Face-to-face visits when possible or desired
Ideally occurs once a week unless other arrangements are made
Student Learning Plan (SLP)
Collaborating with teacher to write a fluid SLP that may be changed and updated throughout the year
- Students registering in grades 4 and 7 are required to write the FSA tests unless they meet the requirement from the Ministry for exceptions
- Faith or Church Affiliation
- Style of Support Teacher you prefer
- Online courses
- You will be contacted by your Support Teacher in August or early September
- Kindergarten - student must be 5 by Dec. 31 of the school year
- Grade 1 - student must be 6 by Dec. 31 of the school year
- Acceptance letter holds username and password for Encom
Instructions for Enrolled DL Patrons
How to Re-Enroll at HCOS
This page highlights the process in which you will need to know when re-enrolling at HCOS.
- Sign in to your Encom account
- If you do not recall your password please go here
- If you are unsure of your Username please contact email@example.com
- Click the Re-enrollments button:
- Read through the instructions and select Yes or No and press the Save and Continue button.
- Follow instructions on screen to complete re-enrollment.
PO Numbers for 2019/20, if applicable, will be issued the last week of April.
If you have any questions, or need assistance in this, please contact Carole in our office.
Please note: If you are one of our Registered families you will need to contact your Regional Administrator or the HCOS Office (Toll free: 1-877-862-2375) or email to go through the re-registering process.
Purchase Order Numbers or PO#s
When you receive a Purchase Order Number (PO#):
Once a child is enrolled at HCOS, they will be issued a PO# once all of the required documents been received by the office.
The office requires:
- Copy of the child’s birth certificate
- Proof of Residency document
- Signed Curriculum agreement
- There may be additional documents required for specific students (ie. out-of-province, or SE students)
The PO# - used to order resources:
Families will receive a PO# from the HCOS office and it is accessible in a student's Encom account. The PO# is used with HCOS Vendors on their websites (HCOS Vendors) or through our Curriculum and Lesson Order Forms (found under the 'Curriculum Resources' tab at the top of a student's home page in Encom. The Curriculum and Lesson Order Forms are used to order resources from non-HCOS Vendor websites and are subject to date restrictions (Lessons only after October 1st of the current school year and Curriculum orders are suspended for the month of July each year)
Budget deadlines and amounts:
The budget for K-9 Students enrolling before September 30th of the current school year (and haven't attended any campus school during the week prior to September 30th) is as follows:
- Each student budget is restricted to a maximum of $600 for any third-party lessons or for consumable resources, any amount of this part of the budget can be used for internal HCOS courses/resources as well and this includes textbooks and materials that can be returned to the school to be used by other students
- HCOS makes an additional $400 available to pay for internal HCOS courses/resources
- Funds may be used for HCOS based programs such as Virtual Worlds, Learning Camps, Community Connections and Co-ops.
- The cost for HCOS online courses automatically comes out of a students annual budget
K-9 students enrolling after September have a budget of $500 to work with.
K-9 students enrolling after the second enrollment deadline in February have a budget of $250.
K-9 students enrolling after the third enrollment deadline do not have any budget due to the small amount of school year remaining
For K-9 families, the PO# can be used as soon as it is in Encom and it is recommended purchases be made in consultation with:
- Regional Administrator - initial contact with HCOS Resource Consultant - Cynthia Duncalfe - sign up at Cynthia's Calendar - new families to HCOS prior to the assigning of an HCOS support teacher
- Current support teacher - returning families
10-12 students receive $100 in curriculum funds per individualized course. There are a few exceptional cases depending on the programs of choice.
Teacher’s Role in the PO# process:
Reimbursement for own dollars spent:
A parent can not be reimbursed for any resource/lesson purchases made out of their own pocket.