Curriculum Budget

How does funding work for students in Grade 10, 11 & 12?


Information on Grad funding can be found here:  Grad Program Funding

Purchasing Forms

HCOS forms used by families to purchase curriculum and/or lessons using their Encom funding. 

This is for Encom funding ONLY, please contact the Special Education department if you are needing to make a purchase using Special Education funding or set up a lesson provider. 

1. Curriculum Order Form - use this form to purchase items from a vendor who is not an HCOS approved vendor. 

Go to the Vendors page on the HCOS website to see if the vendor is on the approved vendor list. If the vendor is listed and does accept POs, follow the instructions given to make the purchase.

If the vendor is not on the list, you will need to use the Curriculum Order Form.

2. Recreational Program Form

If the lesson or activity provider will not send HCOS an invoice and requires payment via credit card or if the lesson is through a City, District or Municipality recreation center you will need to use the Recreational Program Order Form

Please read the above links as with lesson and activity purchases, there are a few more steps that need to occur prior to arranging lessons.

3. HCOS Lesson Invoice Submission Form

If the lesson or activity provider will accept HCOS POs and will invoice HCOS, they will need to use this form to submit their invoices. They should already have access to this form as before offering lessons to HCOS students they will need to go through the Criminal Record Check process as well as sign the Lesson Provider Agreement

Information on Lessons: Where to start when making a lesson or activity purchase? 
Link to the form: HCOS - Lesson Invoice Submission Form 

Please read the above links as with lesson and activity purchases, there are a few more steps that need to occur prior to arranging lessons.

4. Computer/iPad Lease Form

If you are interested in purchasing a computer or iPad and using your curriculum funding over the course of three years, please fill out this form: Computer/iPad Lease Form 



Resource Vendor Directory

Please see the Resource Vendor Directory page for a list of vendors: Resource Vendor Directory 

What can I spend my funding on?

Resources and Programs provided by HCOS (Internal)
Resources and Programs by 3rd Party providers (External to HCOS) 
Curriculum on Loan Agreement: Agreement between HCOS and parent/guardian - Signed by all parents/guardians during enrollment


What types of purchases are considered family expenses?

Parent Expense: HCOS is not able to pay for the following items as per Ministry Funding Guidelines and HCOS policy
Musical Instruments Ministry considers this a family expense; HCOS can pay for lessons, but not instruments

General school supplies

 Ministry considers this a family expense. Examples: notebooks, lined paper, pencils, pens, erasers, rulers, calculators, pencil sharpeners (including electric pencil sharpeners), daily planners, etc...

Computer Accessories 

 Ministry considers this a family expense. Examples: adapters, USB, external storage, DVD drives, speakers, microphones, keyboards, mouse, etc...

Equipment & Costumes needed for activities and lessons

 Ministry considers this a family expense; HCOS can pay for lessons, but not equipment or costumes. Examples: household appliances, workshop tools/equipment, sports equipment, greenhouse equipment, incubators, etc...
Cameras, microscopes & telescopes Available on loan from HCOS Learning Commons
Rentals & Deposits


 Ministry considers this a family expense


 Ministry considers this a family expense. Examples: desks, chairs, carpets, lamps,. shelves, etc...

HCOS considers this a family expense



Ministry considers this a family expense; Funding cannot be used to pay tuition


Summer Activities HCOS does not pay for summer programing, day camps, trips, lessons or activities. 

If unclear about an item, please contact your teacher or the office for clarity before making the purchase. 

ALL purchases must be made with approval from the teacher



Where to find the Curriculum and Recreational Program Order Forms and how to fill them out?

The first step is to go to the Vendors page on the HCOS website to see if the vendor is on the Vendors Accepting HCOS PO Numbers list. Vendors on this list do not require a curriculum order form as you can contact them directly to make your curriculum purchase. 

If the vendor is not on that list, the next step is to sign into Encom where an option on the tool bar called Curriculum Resources is available. Click this link to fill out an order form for Curriculum purchases whose vendor will not accept an HCOS PO number.

Click on the    to start a curriculum order on the order form. Each form submission allows a family to order up to 10 items from a single vendor. The template will not allow more, but there is a note section on the order form to indicate if the order will be continued on another form.

If purchases will be made from a variety of vendors, each vendor will require a different order form. 

When the “I’m Done!” box is clicked, a prompt will appear asking for the Support Teacher’s email address. (For those who may not have a teacher as yet, please use the email address of the Regional Administrator who accepted your application to HCOS.)

Please do not try to enter a password .. that is for teacher use only.  A link to the order form will then go to the Support Teacher indicated who will verify the order before purchases can be made. Verification includes making sure that that item/lesson is in the Student Learning Plan (SLP), that there is sufficient funding for the purchase and that there is an equipment agreement or CRC, if necessary.

Once the Support Teacher has verified the order form, an email similar to the one below will be generated and sent to the family, which indicates the order has been approved and gone through to the purchasing department:

OR .. an email like the one following which indicates that the Support Teacher cannot approve the items requested. If the following email is received, the family should get in touch with the Support Teacher to discover the reason.

Upon receipt of the verified order form, the purchasing department will either make the purchase within 3 – 5 days of receiving it or will be in touch with the family to work out any complications with the order.

As per HCOS policy, lessons will not be available for purchase until October. Close to the time that funding is released for lesson purchases, a link to the lessons order form will be made available alongside the Curriculum order form in Encom. 

For further information about purchasing, please contact the purchasing office.

Purchasing Office
Phone: (250) 862-1627
Toll Free 1 (866) 862-1628
Email Donna Perret, Lead Purchaser:

Video Instructions

Video- a short video showing how to use the curriculum special order form.

Lesson Purchasing Procedures

As per HCOS policy, lessons and activities will not be available for purchase until October. Close to the time that funding is released for lesson and activity purchases, a link to the Recreational Program order form will be made available alongside the Curriculum order form in Encom.

New * Lessons through a City, District or Municipality recreation center MUST be purchased using the online recreational program order form.

Most of the other lesson/service providers WILL “invoice” (3rd party bill) HCOS for payment by cheque.

Some guidelines that may be helpful:

  1. Many sports clubs (hockey, soccer, gymnastics, dance, etc.) are also willing to 3rd party bill as long as they are informed that there is a 3rd party (HCOS) potentially paying even a portion of the fees.
  2. Finally…regardless of whether paid by cheque or credit card the government requires that HCOS have criminal record check (CRC) confirmation/clearance before paying for any 3rd party lessons. Therefore, it is recommended that parents call the HCOS Head Office to make a quick check in our extensive database to make sure the lesson provider is “approved” or whether that process still needs to be completed.

All lesson providers must supply copies of their Criminal Record Check (CRC) policy before payment can be made. CRC policies need to be in compliance with Ministry guidelines.

The recreational program order form will only be for those vendors who will not third party invoice HCOS and require credit card payment  (exception: City and Municipality Recreational Centers which must use the recreational program order form).

For further information, contact the purchasing office:
Donna Perret, Lead Purchaser


Where to start when making a curriculum purchase?

There are two ways to make a curriculum purchase with HCOS

Option 1. Purchase Order Number:
Option 2. Purchasing Department:

Parents who order from US vendors to Canada are personally responsible for any customs or brokerages fees.

Parents CANNOT ship to a US address, even with cheaper postage, as HCOS, as the legal owner of the curriculum, would be liable for brokerage and customs fees.

Please note the following curriculum vendors who have specific and unique instructions listed below

Please note: As per the Ministry of Education, HCOS cannot reimburse families for any reason. Please do not make purchases using your personal funds with the intent of HCOS reimbursing you. 

Name of Vendor Unique Instructions
Teachers Pay Teachers

List the items you want on the curriculum order form. The purchasing department will then purchase a gift card to cover those items and send you the gift card. Once you have used the gift card, the receipt from the purchase needs to be forwarded to

Abeka Curriculum

* Please Note: Due to difficulties connecting with customer service and the inability to ship directly to a families (when we use our HCOS account), HCOS can no longer purchase Abeka Curriculum directly from Abeka. 


If a family requires Abeka curriculum, they can fill out a curriculum order form and purchase the items from   The purchasing department will place the order and make payment for that.

Abeka Academy

* Please Note:


The purchase must be set up in the parent’s Abeka account with parents choosing the 10 month payment plan.  Once the order is placed, the parent will need to email their Abeka account login information along with their Abeka sales order number to the purchasing department.  The purchasing department will then go into the parent account and pay the amount available for the year.  The parent will  then pay the remaining portion of the payment.


A specific amount is set up each year as the max that will go toward Abeka Academy depending upon the exchange rate at the beginning of the school year. 

Homeschool Buyer's Co-op

There are a number of vendors whose curriculum is at a lower price through the HSBC.  Orders for those vendors are placed on the curriculum order form. Here is the link to the various vendors who give discounts:




In order for us to make these purchases, the parent must have a Homeschool Buyer’s Co-op account and include the email they use to set up that account in the note section of the curriculum order form.



Where to start when making a lesson or activity purchase?


Please Note: HCOS does not begin accepting and/or paying invoices for lessons and activities until October 1st

Step One: Determine if the Lesson or Activity Provider has a Criminal Record Check (CRC) on file with HCOS

All lesson and activity providers, must have a CRC on file with HCOS prior to lessons begin, in order for HCOS to process payment

Step Two: Determine how the Lesson or Activity provider needs to be paid 

There are two payment options:

Payment Option One -  Purchase Order/ Invoice: Most Lesson and Activity providers (music lessons, sports associations, choir, gymnastics, dance, etc...) will invoice HCOS and get paid via cheque. This is the preferred process for the lesson providers as well as HCOS.

All lesson and activity invoices must be submitted via the new HCOS Lesson Invoice Submission form. HCOS will no longer be accepting lesson invoices via email.

  1. *New Lesson Providers will now send their invoices directly to the HCOS Payable department via the HCOS - Lesson Invoice Submission form
    • Their submission will never be blocked by our servers (thinking it is spam)
    • Their submission will be processed quicker
      • Reduced back and form between the HCOS finance office and Lesson Providers - All information needed to successfully process will be available to the finance office
      •  Will go directly to the person processing Lesson and Activity invoices

Important things to know regarding Lesson and Activity purchases and invoicing:

  1. HCOS will accept invoices in October for lessons occurring until the end of January (Term One)
  2. HCOS will accept invoices at the end of January for lessons occurring Feb - the end of June (Term Two)
  3. If a Lesson or Activity Provider does not have an invoice, a template has been provided that they can use on the  HCOS - Lesson Invoice Submission form

Lesson and Activity providers are given a Lesson Provider Agreement to sign when they go through the CRC process. This document outlines how to successfully invoice HCOS.

Payment Option Two -  Recreational Program Online Form: This form is for all City and Municipality Recreational Center purchases (all City Rec center purchase MUST go through this form, do not ask them to invoice HCOS) as well as organizations that require payment at the point of purchase. 

City and Municipality Recreational Centers

All other organizations that require payment at point of purchase

The Recreational Program Online form will be available October 1st - April 15th of each school year